My Buddies and Me

My Buddies and Me

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Music used in Guantanamo interrogations?


A recent report that has surfaced regarding various artists music being used to interrogate criminals and prisoners at the Guantanamo prison complex overseas.  Many artists such as Rosanne Cash, REM, Jackson Browne and Pearl Jam have joined a U.S. campaign asking those to come forward to name the music used, and to stop using it all-together.




I for one, don’t see it as a major issue.  Psychological war-fare has been used over the past centuries in a way to break down the prisoner or enemies mind to get the answers needed.  I also don’t know how it would feel if someone said that they were using my music to do that.  Should I be offended, that my music is that bad enough to break a prisoner?

According to previously released documents, songs by bands like Nine Inch Nails and Rage Against the Machine were used as part of interrogating prisoners.


“Guantanamo is known around the world as one of the places where human beings have been tortured,” Tom Morello, of the bands Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave, said in a statement Thursday.
“The fact that music I helped create was used in crimes against humanity sickens me,” Morello added.

This is what I don’t understand.  The two bands mentioned above were known for defying the government and speaking out against injustice.  If the reports are true, why use them and how was their music  used to alter the minds of prisoners?  It’s  a fascinating world we certainly live in, when Rage Against The Machine is used instead of Roseanne singing the Nation Anthem on repeat.
This is certainly a fascinating tid-bit on the music industry and the cause an effect it can really have on various forms of people who live on this earth.  This story will be developing over the next few weeks, and I’ll surely update you on anything that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment